5.2.14

When in.... Manchester YOU NEED TO TRY..


Manchester Field Trip

Still Life | Food and Fashion

Suggested areas to explore:

1.     City Centre ( China Town/ Canal Street)
2.     Northern Quarter
3.     Castlefield, Deansgate & Spinningfields
4.     Oxford Road ( Curry Mile/ Rusholme)
5.     Salford/ The Quays

When you are in Manchester you need to try:

Manchester Tart
This is a traditional baked English tart made from shortcrust pastry, raspberry jam covered in custard, coated in coconut flakes and then topped with a cherry.


















Eccles Cake
If a Manchester tart isn’t enough to satisfy your sugar cravings, then how about an Eccles cake? This is a small round cake made from flaky pastry and butter, filled with currants. It’s often topped with Demerara sugar.


Bury Black Pudding
The dish is generally made from pork blood and also contains oatmeal and it is generally fried, grilled or boiled in its skin. Black pudding is generally as part of a full English breakfast and a number of variants exist including a battered version.























Lancashire Hot Pot
A meat stew originated in the cotton towns as a quick, simple dish that could be slow cooked, usually eaten with red pickled cabbage.                      
Rag Pudding                                                                                                                            
Originating from Oldham, this is a savoury food that consists of suet pastry filled with minced meat and onions, which is then either boiled or steamed.






























Bolton Pasty
Hailing from Bolton, this is a floured bread roll, otherwise known as a barm cake containing meat and potato. They are definitely worth trying as they were voted Botlon’s favourite snack.



















It is a great experience for me to try so many new dishes. British cuisine and all traditional British food are far away from my taste. That is why I have never tried typical British food. Thanks to this project I found many different flavours and frankly speaking I fell in love with some of them. I am a peaky eater and in spite of that I tempted myself to try something new. I have “sweet tooth” so I could not pass selflessly by Manchester Tart and Eccless Cake. I had to have them as soon as possible. They looked very tasty and they obviously are. Manchester Egg and Bury Black Pudding do not sound interesting to me and even when I found a few images in the Internet they still did not attract my eye. I think that I will never try them because of their look. To be more experimental with this project I decided to make Lancashire Hot Pot by myself. In my opinion, it looks really good and all of my family members loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment