4.3.14

The Concept

I've started my research by thinking about what is going on currently in the world in connection with the food industry. I came to the conclusion that, nowadays, people spend much money on food and very often most of that food end up as waste every year. The amount of food wasted is also on unnecessary waste of the land, water and energy resources that were used in the production, processing and distribution of this food. In order to prevent further waste, we must work together to help change people's mind - sets on waste and discourage wasteful practices. One of the available options is to process the food for purpose of fashion, for instance; by making accessories from food etc. It is not only eco but also might turn to be trendy.
My main inspirations are based on research trips around Manchester and London. Mainly Borough Market in London where I have seen many fruits and vegetables displays. The first thing that came into my mind was: why don’t we make fashionable and unique accessories from fruits' peels?
I have found so many inspirations in art: a) still life photographers: - Philip Karlberg - Carl Kleiner Their works drew my attention because of the way how do they present all things on the image. In my opinion they are trying to tell by their works that less might mean more. The key characteristic thing in their images is simplicity and naturalness. b) designers: - Kobilevi - he is a shoe designer from Tel- Aviv. About his works he is saying: "In my artistic footwear design the shoe is my canvas. The trigger to create a new piece comes when an idea, a concept or an image comes to mind. The combination of the image and footwear creates a new hybrid and the design-concept comes to life. The piece is a wearable sculpture. It is "alive" without/out the food/body. Most of the inspirations are out of the "shoe-world", and give the footwear a humorous, extreme transformation." c) Robert Mapplethorpe- fashion photographer - Ken Moody with Shoe, 1985

Proposal
My still life editorial accessories shoot has taken on on concept of something that through my research I have become extremely passionate about. My shoot will be based on the sustainability of fruits and processing them for purpose of fashion.
My main reference point will refer to the work of artists Phil Karlberg and Carl Kleiner as I am planning on doing very simple shoot to portray my message. I am also wanting to shoot in a similar way to photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, whose work I showed on previous posts. Another inspiration is Kobi Levi who is a shoes designer. The design of his banana shoes really inspired me. Furthermore they are connected with my own idea. I will definitely think about making some accessories from banana peels. Milos Mali inspired me to use pastel colours for my shoot. Most of his works are based on pastel colours.
My research trips to Manchester and London inspired me to use fruits for my project as I can do many experiments with the shape, colour and composition.
The each page the shoot will be a different accessory made from different fruit.
I am wanting to shoot from a birds-eye perspective so each image will look the same but the only changing factor will be the fruit and the accessory. 
I want to use the fruit that are most regularly eaten. I am planning to do the photo shoot by myself in the studio or in the house. I am going to take pictures by myself with Nikon D3000 camera and 50mm f/1.4 G lens.


No comments:

Post a Comment