23.2.14

Selfridges London

Selfridges was on my must visit list in London. Selfridges is also known as Selfridge & Co., which is a chain of high end department stores in the United Kingdom. It was founded by Harry Gordon Selfridge. The flagship store on London's Oxford Street is the second largest shop in the UK (after Harrods) and opened 15 March 1909. In the 1940s, smaller provincial Selfridge stores were sold to the John Lewis Partnership, and in 1951 the original Oxford Street store was acquired by the Liverpool-based Lewis's chain of department stores. Lewis's and Selfridges were then taken over in 1965 by the Sears Group owned by Charles Clore. Expanded under the Sears group to include branches in Manchester and Birmingham, in 2003 the chain was acquired by Canada's Galen Weston for £598 million. The shop's history was dramatized in 2013, in the British television series Mr Selfridge. Other Selfridges stores opened in the Trafford Centre (1998); Exchange Square (2002) in Manchester; and in the Bullring, Birmingham(2003). In September 2013, the store gained notoriety after a shop worker refused to serve a friend of former far-right English Defence League leader, Tommy Robinson. MY OPINION AND EXPERIENCES: Selfridges was the second place I visited during my research trip to London. I found it much different than Harrods. I have noticed that all the food was rather closer together rather than in separated sections like in Harrods. In my opinion, my favourite thing about Selfridges food hall was the meet hall. To be honest, I try to avoid to eat meet but I just loved the creative way of the food presentation.
Meet Hall
Meet Hall

Colourful Salads
Small treat for myself

Fruit and Vegetable Hall

Sweet section


No comments:

Post a Comment